Stylish Kitchens Nottingham
Stone countertops for the kitchen Kitchen cabinets with granite countertops Granite is one of the most solid and durable natural stones.
Marble countertops for the kitchen cabinets Marble is also a natural stone which was formed by silt deposits in the sedimentary rocks. The chemical composition of the marble is calcium carbonate. This mineral has a cold surface when touched. Color it obtain by the inclusion of metallic salts, various mineral clays, and silicon.
The price of this material depends on the color. Cheap varieties are white and yellowish, more expensive are pink and gray shades and the most expensive are black and maroon-streaked. Disadvantages of the marble associated with its fragility, susceptibility to corrosion. Marble surfaces are easy to soil (due to porosity) and hard to clean. Plates from this material cannot be connected to each other to make the seam between them invisible. Thus, may be stated that the broken countertop cannot repair own hands. Kitchen countertops made of natural stone except for granite and marble also made of basalt and travertine. Basalt is largely similar to granite, and travertine – on the marble.
This material allows obtaining products in multiple colors with a matte or glossy surface. Artificial stone producing by the same technology from acrylic stone and agglomerate – composites that consist of a mineral or stone powder (filler) and a binder polymer or monomer composition.
In contrast to acrylic stone agglomerate as a binder is used not an acrylic resin, but polyester compound.
Advantages of products from acrylic stone
- It allows producing plates without seams of any shape and size.
- This stone is stronger than granite, marble, basalt, and travertine.
- Plate made of acrylic is resistant to mechanical damage, shock, impervious to moisture, bacteria, and dyes.
- Acrylic countertops well washed with soap and water.
Disadvantages of products from acrylic stone
- The acrylic surface does not melt, but an imprint from the very hot pots or pans may remain.
- On the acrylic surfaces remain scratches.
- Instructions prohibit use abrasives and hard sponge for washing.
Advantages of products from the agglomerate
- The surfaces of the quartz agglomerate are resistant to high temperature.
- Quartz agglomerate is not afraid of washing with harsh abrasives or scouring pads.
- The surface of the quartz stone is most similar to the natural.
Disadvantages of products from the agglomerate
- During the production of agglomerate countertops, there are restrictions on the length – 3 m. Is worth mentioning that the joints are sealed and become invisible.
- In the case of damage, such plates should be replaced, because the restoration or repair are impossible.
- The surface of the agglomerate colder by feel than the acrylic.
- The complexity of the transportation, because quartz plates can only be transported in an upright position.
The use of natural and artificial stone in the manufacture of countertops for the kitchen is completely justified by their characteristics. In each separate case it is necessary to take into account all the advantages and disadvantages, and only then make a choice.